Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Remembering Grams



My dear, sweet grandmother (Frieda Bender) passed away and went to be with our Lord and Saviour on Saturday, August 22nd 2009. She was a woman of which I look to with great admiration. A very hard and industrious worker, she helped run a local gas station that my grandfather owned. She took joy in cooking wonderful meals for her family. I especially remember the pineapple rice salad (white rice, whipped cream and pineapple) as well as her chocolate meringue pie. Grandma was one who loved life. She drove right up until her stroke made it impossible. She was 89 years old! I love her. I love how she lived, and how she was so beautiful at the time of her death. Her mind was still so sharp at the time she passed. These pictures were taken just two weeks prior to her death. She knew who all her great grandchildren were by name. Both her life and the process of her death were very inspiring. I know my children will not forget their great-grandmother. I know they will remember how the physicians spoke early on of letting her die by not feeding her - yet the Lord allowed a much easier transition into eternity, much more dignified. I know that speaks volumes to my family. God, by allowing her to live one month past her stroke - allowed my relationship with my father to be restored, allowed my grandmother to hold the hands of her little great grandkids running around her room, and allowed me to witness how - when we trust Christ - He truly cares for His own, even upon taking you home. He did not forsake my grandmother at the time she most needed Him. I am so very thankful for that.
We will be travelling back this week for the service and to remember her with other family members and friends.
Psalm 30:5b "....weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."

5 comments:

Goetsch Family, Jr. said...

What a blessing to hear of a gracious and hard working woman who remained that way until the Lord took her home! That indeed, is rare. We will be praying that your time with family will be sweet and centered around thoughts of seeing her again in Heaven!

Amanda said...

Your memories are so beautiful! What a blessing the Lord put her in your life!

Garth and Becky said...

Thank you for sharing your grandmother's testimony with us. What a blessing to know she is singing with the angels! Thinking of you as you travel and spend time with family.

Tom and April said...

It is so great that your children get to meet their great grandmother and know she loved the Lord. Glad to hear about all the Lord is doing in your life and thru your grandmas. We'll be praying.... his mercies are new every morning. Truly there will be joy on the other side of Jordan:)

Jenny said...

What a blessing she was and what wonderful memories to carry with you through this life until you see her inn the next! Thanks for sharing.