Monday, May 20, 2013

The Unc


The week before last my dear Uncle Marv passed away. My uncle was special to me in that when I was a teenager - and in need of a home and safe place to go to high school, he opened up his home and heart to me. 

My Aunt Gale and Uncle Marv didn't have to do such a sacrificial thing, taking in a teenager - when they were both nearing retirement age, but I'm glad they did. It started the domino affect of a better life for me. I was able to focus more in school, thus graduating with my class. If it had not been for their kindness - I have no idea where I might be today in life. I will forever be grateful to them both. They helped change my world. I finally knew what stability felt like, what it meant to really be a student - no longer concerned about surviving whatever situation I was in. 




Uncle Marv wasn't only a kind hearted man, but he was pretty funny too. Many times - I could be found laughing hysterically over his antics. Even now, while remembering - I feel a smile on my lips. He was a good man - and he will be missed. I came to endearingly call him 'The Unc', and even in my adult years - I would always get a Christmas card signed "The Unc", and of course, in his estimation it was no card at all, unless it was a 'Leaning Tree' card.



I love you Uncle Marv 

My memories of you will include things like: Tennessee, liquid smoke in my tacos, big boxes full of rocks, barking at strangers, telling me to wash my hair - with soap, your teasing me when I always came back in because I forgot something, yorkies, cowboy movies, big belt buckles, stealing your white t-shirts and driving you crazy, licking your glasses, first car shopping, fixing first car, teasing Aunt Gale together, and giving you sloppy kisses on your big ole' forehead.


1 comment:

The Potvin Crew said...

Praying for comfort for you and your family during this time. So glad God used him to make an impact in your life... thus impacting many others... like me. Love you! Hugs, Grace