Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Our Garden


If anyone knows me at all - they know that I so enjoy gardening. Here are several pictures. There are a couple from our vegetable garden that shows some of the fence that Phillip got for my Mother's Day gift. Amanda and I edged the garden with crushed oyster shell for a nicer look to it. Oyster shell is a cheaper way to go than like gravel or decorative rock. Our garden is having a rough year. I have been fighting crows, deer, slugs, and weeds. A couple of weeks ago I built (more like Jerry-Rigged) a somewhat pathetic scarecrow. I put Phillip's overalls on him (he wasn't too happy) and a Kentucky wildcats hat my father n law gave one of the boys. Then I tied cds all over it to keep the crows away. I had to use some red ribbon to tie the cd's and to tie the scarecrow down because I have no rope - but being somewhat crafty, I have plenty of ribbon laying around. The result is a pathetic attempt at keeping the crows out - and I think it also serves as an embarrassment to my hubby. BUT . . . it WORKS! I have tomatoes, green beans, snap peas, pumpkins, zucchinis, cucumbers, rosemary, sweet basil, green onions, beets, and blueberries, radishes, and carrots. We just harvested beets the other day and they were soooo good. Beets out of the garden do not even compare to canned beets from the store. My kids love beets out of the garden. Well, until they go potty . . .
There is also Dinnerplate Dahlias in my garden (named that because they are ginormous - the size of Chloe's head).


This above picture is of the beets we harvested. Look at the size of the top one compared to the other one. It was HUGE!

These pictures are of other flowers throughout my yard.

This little pink flower is actually a Dahlia. It is so pretty and vivid. It has amazing color to it. The leaves are actually more blackish than this picture illustrates. So the contrast between the petals and foliage is very striking.

8 comments:

handstrustinhim said...

THE SCARE CROW IS HILARIOUS. I told you those CD's would work. We hear our neighbor's CD's clanking all the time in the wind. And it is worth it...the other day our neighbors gave us a watermelon from their garden and when Mr frank handed it to me I almost dropped it. It looked like it weighed maybe 15 pounds. I put that thing on my bathroom scale and it weighed over 35 pounds. It was the best watermelon we have ever had. The flowers are soooooooo pretty. I wish I were there to see those dinner plate daliahs in person. They are my favorite flower on earth....and they won't grow here. It is way to hot and dry for them in NC. Well i love you and I am very happy your little garden is doing so well!

The Casaus House said...

I love the scarecrow. I've never heard of the CD thing before but hey if it works! I so wish I had any inkling (sp?) about gardening but I don't. Thankfully I have Josh around. Your flowers are so pretty. Great pictures! Hey by the way, I'm not a fan of beets so haven't had one in a looooooooong time. What do you mean about the potty part? :)

Anonymous said...

as long as the scarecrow works, who cares that he's headless and fleshless.....lol is Phil more embarassed, or is it that you gave his favorite pair of overalls to the "garden keeper?"
you have always had such a green thumb, and I admire you for all your wonderfull gifts! we need to have you over for dinner and you can bring the salad..... from an old friend

Julie said...

I love the little dahlia! So pretty! Next year I hope to get more colorful flowers for our yard.

Jenny said...

Oh, beautiful post! I was also thinking of posting a "gardening" type post soon. We have no vagetable garden, only tomatoes. But we do have a lot of flowers this year. I love annuals! Oh, and I love dahlias!! I used to grow SOO many in our previous home! They are my favorite flower to grow, I love the ones with the very compact bloom. I can relate to not having rope! I strung up my tomatoes for about 5 years with ribbon and yarn before finally buying some gardening twine. :) Ahhh... at least we have some ribbon!

Tom and April said...

I love coming over and seeing your garden growing every week. You did a great job and the flowers in your yard our so beautiful. I always enjoy them. I don't care what anyone says....the SCARECROW is awesome!!! THough I think it would look hilarious with Tommy's coveralls on!!! But I know it always makes me laugh when I think of Phillip and how he gets red when we mention the scarecrow...so funny!

~~Deby said...

I love your garden..I am so jealous..and fresh...REAL food...to include BASIL...a favorite...good for you.....
when I had a bit of bird problem in the past ...we made a net sort of with ropes and used strip of aluminum foil...it scared them off...
do what works...
~Deby

Jenny said...

Wow, what a great garden!! I can't wait to live somewhere that I can have a garden of my own. I would like to start some pot-growing here if I can. Great pictures, too, by the way! The flowers are beautiful. I like your scarecrow, too. It cracks me up, and I think it's adorable and quite creative!